- Original two-dimensional watercolor painting on a single sheet of watercolor paper, canvas, yupo, aqua/clay board, rice paper, or silk.
- ALL components of the work must be original. (See new guidelines posted on the NPWS website.) If a painting is discovered to NOT be original, the NPWS officers will immediately withdraw the painting and/or award. Member will be sanctioned for one year and will be prohibited from participating in the show for one year. Please use honorable ethics concerning originality.
- Watercolor canvas and boards need to be properly sealed. All other paintings must be framed with glass or Plexiglas.
- Please keep frames simple and adequately wired for hanging. NO sawtooth hangers.
- Paintings shall be matted with single plain white or plain off-white mat. It is acceptable to use a mat with contrasting core. It is also acceptable to float your painting inside the frame.
- All paintings must be enclosed in a protective wrap upon delivery.
- Outer frame dimensions must not exceed 36” in width and 48” in height since gallery space is limited. NPWS and the Rapid City Arts Council (RCAC) reserve the right to limit the number of entries. In the event we receive more submissions than space allows, entry #1 will be hung. If we cannot hang entry #2, you will be refunded. Size will be a deciding factor.
- Artist’s names will be covered during the judging process.
- Any work not meeting exhibition standards may be rejected by the NPWS officers at their sole discretion.
Non Acceptable Work
- No acrylics, non-watercolor ink, gouache, oil or water- soluble oil, pastels, collage, or prints. No digitally generated works or components within work.
- No paintings shown in a previous NPWS show or more than 2 years old.
- No class work or paintings completed with instruction.
- August 21, 2020. Artist critique 3:30-5pm by Kim Johnson. Award presentations from 5:00-5:30 pm in the Cyclorama Gallery with reception to follow directly after.
- RCAC will handle all sales and retain 33% commission, with the remainder being paid to the artists.
- Work not available for sale must be marked NFS. Preference is for all works to be for sale. Mark all entries with value for insurance purposes, as it is insured during the show.
- Shipped Art will be return-shipped by RCAC if the artist provides shipping containers and pre-paid labels. Packing peanuts and wooden/masonite crates are NOT acceptable.
Entry Forms (deadline – July 24th)
- Enter via the NPWS website under the Show Tab. Fill out entry forms, pay and print entry form to attach to your piece for drop off to the Dahl.
- Shortly after submitting your registration, you will receive an email with your ENTRY FORM to print.
- Please affix the duplicate of your ENTRY FORMS to back of entries and put a protective wrap on your piece. Send or take to: Dahl Arts Center. Delivery via shipment and/or drop off dates and times are Friday, August 7 through Friday, August 14th from 10am – 5pm.
- Entries must be picked up Tuesday, October 27th through Friday, November 6th, 10am-5pm.